Outreach at Humber Valley
There is always light. If only we are brave enough to see it. ~ Amanda Gorman
While many of our outreach activities are led by our Outreach Committee, our women's groups and the 55+ initiative (which is supported by many HVUC volunteers) also do important work in our community and in the wider world. The United Church Women (UCW) allocates about 40% of its budget to outreach, supporting the Mission & Service fund of the UCC as well as other United Church, local, national and international charities.
The Outreach Committee continues to give the congregation information about important social issues as well as opportunities to support charities in three area - our local community, within Canada and world-wide.
The projects supported in 2020/2021 are:
• Dorothy Ley Hospice - offers programs and services designed to meet the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of individuals living with a life-limiting illness.
• Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter - an organization run by women, providing support and shelter for women and children escaping violence.
• Jane Finch Ministry Mission - a multi service, community based organization with a focus on poverty reduction through residential engagement, Capacity building and anti-depression.
• Roncesvalles United - donations of warm clothing for their ‘Out of the Cold’ clients.
• Sistering - a multi-service agency for at risk, socially isolated women and trans people inToronto who are homeless or precariously housed.
• St. James Food Bank - Cans of soup and other food items.
• Women’s Shelter Habitat - offers a safe, confidential location with all the services a woman needs to make a new life for herself and her children.
• Youth Without Shelter - YWS is an emergency residence and referral agency serving homeless you. They are dedicated to providing shelter and programs for homeless youth ages 16 – 24. HVUC provides a monthly Sunday dinner, supplies for former residents and other needs.
• Canadian and African Business Women Alliance International - a non-profit, Canadian and African association with the mandate to support African women entrepreneurs in their efforts to participate in international trade.
• Effect Hope - Leprosy Mission Canada – providing education and treatment.
• Indspire - a charity providing bursaries for Indigenous youth.
• United Church Camps - Camp Scugog and Sparrow Lake.
• Water First - a charity supporting water projects for Indigenous communities in Ontario and beyond.
• Sleeping Children around the World - providing bedkits to children in developing countries; based in Etobicoke.
• Water for Life - GAIN for a well in Africa.